Subject: RE: UKNM: ATTENTION: New Business People
From: Paul Murphy
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 17:40:46 +0100

>for my money (and a lot of the bigger clients money, methinks) if "jot of
>originality" =
>spinny-slidey-rotating-vector-collegeproject-knock-off-sub-designersrepublic
>-watchthetext-getbig-thensmallagain flash animation which seems to be the
>norm for most design-led outfit's portfolio sites, then give me a bit of
>HTML1.0 anyday.

...you have to agree with matt - don't confuse animation <logo flys in>
with creativity but at the same time don't assume that flash can't play a
role in a service based site - seeing the 3D revolve (where you can spin a
product around to look at it) that boo.com are building into their
e-commerce offering made me think, "ah, nice, so there is a point to flash
after all".

similarly look at the teletubbies site (for example) - it uses flash and
shockwave (but not exclusively) simply because of the needs of the site
(entertaining and teaching little kids) and a producer and a designer who
actually sat down and thought about the audience, what the site was trying
to achieve and the best way of putting all those together - it's not that
hard to make a site that works for its purpose.

paul

<plug> issue one of the magazine i'm putting together has a piece on
accessibility by liz bailey, it's out in two weeks - you'll get it free if
you've got a new media age subscription</plug>

editor - new media creative
centaur communications
50 poland street
london - w1v 4ax
T: +44 (0) 171 578 7247
F: +44 (0) 171 970 4899
paulatliketv [dot] com (mailto:paulatliketv [dot] com)