Subject: Re: UKNM: Finding & sponsoring newsgroups
From: Chris Heathcote
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:04:33 +0100

At 3:24 pm +0200 on 8/7/99, Talbot & Nagel advertising wrote:

>Where can I find a list of newsgroups for the printing industry. Any
>ideas?
>
>Plus, anyone have any advice regarding sponsoring a newsgroup (as Excite
>does UKNM).

I think you've got mailing lists and newsgroups confused.

Most publicly available newsgroups aren't sponsored, and cannot be
sponsored. You could set up your own news server, with your own
newsgroups, and try and tempt people to connect (or newsadmins to
carry), but unless you're Microsoft, it's unlikely to work.

Mailling lists *are* owned by an individual or a company: how open
they are to sponsorship is completely up to them.

But remember, the more you thrust your name down someone's throat
without added content, the more net advertising smells like spam.

c.
--
squeegee your third eye
http://www.head-newmedia.com http://www.head-space.org