Subject: UKNM: A consumer's tale.
From: Cosmo.Roe
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:13:08 +0100

I am a lawyer who keeps a close eye on developments in net marketing both as
a professional and as a consumer. As the latter I am a prime example of the
type of customer that net retailers should most value: long working hours
with little opportunity to get to conventional retailers, disposable income
and unrestricted on-line access. I shop fequently on the net.

As a result, I thought it might be useful to share my experiences as a
consumer with participants of a forum such as this. I have a number of
comments:

* please remember that 40% of net users (myself included) have
restricted shockwave capablilities due to operating from behind a firewall.
Ensure that you provide a basic no-shock version of the site for such users.
The prime example of this is Boo.com. All that money, all that hype and
they put an unaccessible flash item on the pre launch intro page. Pathetic
research.

* never, ever shop at iMVS. To retain customer loyalty it is
absolutely vital that customer service is personal and second to none.
Experiences with amazon and audiostreet re: music shopping have been a
pleasure. With iMVS a nightmare. Dds did not arrive. On emailing the
support department all I got was an automated reply, if anything. I finally
resolved the problems by faxing the manging directors of the company
directly (having retrieved their names from an on line database), and even
then response was slow and inadequate. The rest of the community should
watch out for operators like this. A quick check with some of the 3,000
colleagues in my office, all of whom have on line access led to frequent
poor reports on iMVS.

One bad experience does more to damage the confidence of the user in
other sites than any fears about security. When you are putting
faith in a computer order, it is vital for peace of mind that it is
fulfilled quickly, or that you are provided with a full and frequent
update if not. ALL OTHER ONLINE RETAILERS SHOULD BE ACTIVE IN CONDEMNING
COMPANIES SUCH AS iMVS - THEY DO MUCH TO UNDERMINE CONSUMER
CONFIDENCE.

Kind Regards

Cosmo Roe

The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This information may be subject to legal professional or other privilege or may otherwise be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. It must not be disclosed to any person without our authority.
If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are not authorised to and must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it.