Subject: UKNM: Flash - saviour of the Universe???
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:24:34 +0100

Dorian,

My email was not just a response to yours and yours wasn't the
first to raise some issues about graphics v. speed. The 'Mars' was less
to do with living on this planet, but more to do with a certain
successful book about men and women.

I think that your email makes a lot of sense too and, between
your view and mine, there is little difference. The graphical issue is
one that will not go away - I mean, would a good creative say to his/her
website producer: "I think we need less graphics and more text and every
box or line should have a square edge"? NO, and that's not really a
creative's job. They want to do fun stuff that looks cool and gives them
a good 'portfolio'.

It is (and always comes down to) a battle between graphics and
speed - I prefer speed with a nod towards graphics, but that is because
I am producing an ecommerce site with content and I don't want 'my'
customers tutting and checking their timepieces every time they click a
button.

Because the site I am producing is yet to be launched - I can
safely say that it will probably be re-deisgned within the following 6
months... I hope it will too as I am still not entirely happy with the
end 'feel' of the site. Roll on next year....

Cheers

John B

[John Braithwaite] Dorian's email: