Subject: Re: UKNM: More overvalued stocks
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:10:52 +0100

Hm.... "overvalued"... "overpriced"....

Doesn't anybody believe in the theory of efficient markets any more?

If you don't believe that markets are efficient today (ie market prices
reflect all available information, discounted for risk, liquidity, etc),
do you believe that markets have historically been efficient?

There is a vast body of research (and I mean real research by very smart
people who can not only spell econometrics, but understand what it means
and have spent entire PhDs and careers doing it) that supports the belief
that markets have been efficient from 15th century Florence to the present
day. The last two hundred year's sterling bond prices, for example,
exhibited the behaviour predicted by today's asset pricing models, long
before the models were created.

If markets were efficient in the past, before we had spreadsheets,
mechanical calculators or even the telegraph to communicate information
rapidly, can somebody PLEASE explain to me how we can POSSIBLY think that
markets are now inefficient, and are unable to accurately reflect all the
available information about a share price?

bon weekend, tout le monde...
Sean