Subject: Re: UKNM: Communities: Fact or Fiction!
From: lkimber
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:15:20 +0100

I can't give figures but I think there is at least one "community" site in the
UK making money. It's the NetDoctor service running for doctors and medical
professionals out of the Oxford area. Drug companies are a major revenue stream,
which might explain why I hear from it's founders that its existing contracts
will already take it into profit.

It has 10,000 members and 1,000 join each week.

I think "community" is a suspect term - it implies low paid public and public
service. But within business and the wider community there are many niches where
the number of members were traditionally too small to make a profit supplying
them anything other than the tools and products they bought for their trade.
Supplying them with interactive web-sites and being prepared to let those
web-sites go where the members want to take them looks like a plan that will
lead to profitable web communities to me, though communitiy may not be the word
you use to describe them.

Lee Kimber
Technical Editor
Network Week