Subject: RE: UKNM: Communities: Fact or Fiction!
From: Lee Bryant
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:12:47 +0100

Lee Kimber wrote:

--------------
"I think "community" is a suspect term - it implies low paid public and
public
service. But within business and the wider community there are many niches
where
the number of members were traditionally too small to make a profit
supplying
them anything other than the tools and products they bought for their trade.
Supplying them with interactive web-sites and being prepared to let those
web-sites go where the members want to take them looks like a plan that will
lead to profitable web communities to me, though communitiy may not be the
word
you use to describe them."
--------------

The joke is that whilst many in our industry do their best to appear
"corporate" to win "blue chip" clients -- which is why they shy away from
touchy-feely words like community -- the corporates themselves are moving in
the other direction and realising that ideas previously thought to be
non-commercial do in fact have commercial applications (e.g. current JP
Morgan TV ad).

What on earth is wrong with public service. Sounds like too many of you are
stuck in old ways...

Lee Bryant
TMG Hypermedia