Subject: UKNM: Just 35 - the Search Engine that offers less and less and ....
From: Dermopatch
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 03:26:18 +0100

Hi list,
I've been lurking now for a couple of weeks and was particularly interested
in the thread concerning Just 35 recently. I was contacted by them last
week
with a view to a listing. I was offered "10-15,000 visitors" (to each and
every participating web site) and by inference this was per week.

I have learned from bitter experience not to accept these type of bland
inducements and asked to receive a written offer. This verified their
claims
and they called me again. I had by now spoken to somebody more experienced
in these matters who said that I should look for some kind of confirmation
of
these figures as he didn't see how they could be substantiated.

I spoke to them again asking for verification and now 10-15,000 became
2-3,000 and it went from visitors to hits. I spoke to my contact again who
insisted that we should clarify if we were talking about unique visitors or
hits as in his view hits meant nothing. As an inducement I was offered a
credit card sized ad in the Sunday paper of their choice if we got fewer
than
2,000 (it's dropped again!) hits in any one week. Not unique visitors, but
hits.

Asking how they could prove the number of hits to my site they told me that
they could only provide limited statistical information and not (surprise,
surprise) unique visitor stats. In that case, will you refund our money if
we don't get the visitors? Hoarse laugh at the other end - "it's only �950
and you're the only person who cares if it works".

The Just 35 conversation then took an abusive turn finishing with "if it's
good enough for the BBC it should be good enough for you. Everybody else
has said that if it works, great and if not, they don't care". And I was
left holding an empty phone.

Am I the only person out there that wants to get what I pay for? As for the
BBC - why would they care anyway - it's not their money they're spending.

I noticed in last week's thread that Just 35 seem to like defending their
service - I wonder if they would be good enough to respond to this.

Regards
Sandra Lees
www.slimsteady.co.uk