Subject: Re: UKNM: Bad search engines
From: Sam Carrington
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:37:37 +0100

I don't know about anyone else - but from a user perspective, if I use a
search engine I want to see results which are pertinent to the keywords
I have used to guide the search - I do not want to have results pushed
at me from organisations and companies who have paid to impose their
high listing on my search. A search based on a pure index, or an open
directory are always far more useful than any of the ilk of affiliate
portals masquerading as search engines.

If an site-builder or content owner cannot obtain high results for
relevancy through proper indexing and keywords, and planning spider
paths through their content, they are not doing their job properly IMHO.
Resorting to paying to place just smacks of laziness and inaccuracy.

which goes back to my earlier post on the ****35.com thread:

www.google.com
www.dmoz.org

If it ain't broke - don't fix it ;-)
--
sam carrington // senior web developer // sensei.co.uk

Russell Findlay wrote:

> I guess charging for entry has something to do with a long term ambition
> make money. I guess you may wish to get listed under other keywords
> (Internet Radio, Radio etc) and with a compelling offer which can generate
> cash you might be prepared to pay for the benefit. Soundbreak.com is
> willing to pay for the privelege in the US.

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036