Subject: RE: UKNM: RANT ALERT - shortsighted 'net' experts
From: anj medhurst
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:37:18 +0100

Some very familiar points raised:

I have been working in the production side of this industry for over 5
years, as a programmer and also as a researcher and occasional project
manager/producer. I've always worked on a freelance basis because I also
teach (as well as being half way though a PhD looking specifically at new
media production process).

Although I accept that as a producer or a project manager it's often
necessary for me to be 'on site' right through production (clients don't
like freelance project managers even though they often don't have the number
of 'company' distractions that a permanent member of staff has to deal
with - so do a better job for the client), I see no reason why programming,
design and a lot of research work can't happen elsewhere. In the last five
years I have managed to work through a complete job from home no more than
half a dozen times and my feeling is that this is usually because the
production company that is hiring me as a freelancer can't bear the thought
that I might actually be able to do this stuff from the comfort of my home
office - or, god forbid, my patio if the sun's out!!

Even when it's been agreed that I'll work from home I've often been asked to
go into a production agency in person to collect assets and when I've asked
why the files can't be put on an ftp server, or emailed to me I'm told that
'the designer needs to go through them with you' (a sure sign that they
won't work properly) only to travel into shoreditch/farringdon/soho and be
handed a couple of zip disks and a bunch of screen prints and sent on my
way. This only confirms my belief that it's simple jealousy that results in
these incidents. The permanent members of staff can't bear the idea that I'm
able to justify working from home!

The reality of the production process means that I'm far more likely to get
the job done quickly and without mistakes in a quiet home environment than
in a 'typical' new media office environment with account handlers asking
pointless questions and arranging endless meetings to discuss job progress.
Not to mention having to work on the 'freelance' machine in the corner
that's had every dodgy bit of shareware under the sun installed on it by
bored programmers over the last year and crashes every five minutes...

Which is why no production company has ever tempted me to become permanent
and why my email address is still an academic one, (the university moan if
you *want* to work on site - it means they have to find you an office with a
desk, a network connection and a computer in it!!)

I spend a lot of time reading literature that evangelises 'flexible'
employment practices, teleworking and the like but I have rarely experienced
anything that lives up to the ideal - hence I channel my frustration and
industry cynicism into academic research...

anj

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Anj Medhurst
Lecturer/Researcher/Producer
Digital Media
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Department of Communication & Creative Industries
University of Westminster, Harrow Campus, Watford Road, Northwick Park,
Middlesex, HA1 3TP
t: 020 7911 5000 x.4585
e:angelaathrc [dot] wmin [dot] ac [dot] uk

[Sam says: Niki's tale of woe chopped]

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036