Subject: UKNM: RANT ALERT - shortsighted 'net' experts
From: Severina Publications
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 01:59:19 +0100

OK, I'm mad - so if you don't want to listen to a Nikki rant, then delete
this now :o)

Still here?

So it goes like this:

Wednesday, 3pm: Phone call from local recruitment agency who dabbled in web
design, got some big contracts, decided they couldn't do them and were
looking for another local company to take them off their hands. Very nice
lady that phoned, INSISTED that we had to go see them the same day as they
were talking about giving us �30K of business. Finally Chris, our sales guy,
managed to talk them into the fact that we couldn't drop everything to go
and see them, but we'd be happy to fit them in the next day.

Thursday, 5am: Nikki remembers she has breakfast meeting at 7am and gets out
of bed.

Thursday, 7am: Nikki goes to dullest networking breakfast meeting in history
of breakfast meetings.

Thursdya, 9am: Nikki & Chris go to see said company, who then spend three
hours quizzing them about whether or not they're suitable for the client,
whether Severina Publications can handle the projects, yada yada yada

3 hours later: Nikki & Chris leave with promise of business specs being
faxed back that afternoon - could company have detailed breakdown of prices
we can do job for by close of play. (Remember folks we're talking about 4
jobs here, worth about �10K each)

Thursday, 4:30 : Nikki sends proposals as asked, after spending whole day
getting prices together, talking with designer, etc.

Nothing more heard until the following Tuesday

Following Tuesday: Hi, it's Ms XXXXXX here from XXXXXX recruitment, we've
got your proposals and we're happy with your prices and the commission you
want to pay us for passing the business your way, but we're a little
concerned that your graphic designer doesn't work inhouse.

Nikki assures her that this is not a problem, we work very well with our
graphics guy, and it doesn't matter where in the country he is bcos this is
the Internet, right, and distance doesn't matter?

This monring: We call to see how things are going and get "Sorry, we decided
to go with another company bcos they had their graphics guy inhouse"

My points are:

1) We TOLD her in the first place that he wasn't in our office, he was a
teleworker and we liked it that way - that was the point at which she should
have said 'ok, not interested'

2) So f**king what if he isn't in our office? He's practically on call for
us 24 hours a day, he never brings anything in late, we always run on time
and none of our other clients have ever cared that he isn't sitting 3 feet
away from me when they speak to me.

3) I could have lied and said we had this great team sitting in our office,
but I didn't - I told her the truth, that our graphics guy worked from home
and the situation works very well for us.

This is the year 2000 for god's sake - we're supposed to be aware of
technology and know how to use it - the internet is a global experience, not
just a local one. I can do business with people in America, New Zealand and
China (and have done) and THEY don't care where my bloody designer is!!

Have others experienced this kind of backward mentality or shortsightedness
in the UK? It seems to me that many companies in the US use teleworkers
successfully, so why would this be frowned upon here?

Or do YOU yourself frown upon teleworkers and think she had a valid point?

I'm a big believer in fairness, and that's why i'm so het up about this -
it's not the fact that we didn't get the business, it's the unfairness of
why we didn't get it.

Maybe I should lie in future and invent a 12 strong design team working from
custom built offices.............

Thanks for listening - oh, sorry, did I wake you up ?? :o)

Regards

Nikki Pilkington
Severina Publications Limited
Because Internet Marketing Is More Than Just Great Design
T: 01327 871093 F: 01327 871907
E: nikkiatseverina [dot] co [dot] uk
W: http://www.severina.co.uk
ICQ: 9330127

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036