Subject: Re: UKNM: Credit card fraud
From: Alice
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:09:57 +0100

>(iii) Most reported cases of CC fraud online (excepting stolen/false
>CC's used) come from hackers entering the database at the retailer site
>where CC details are stored (either as billing details or audit trail
>details)

isn't that illegal anyway? If you're registered under the Data Protection
Act, & you do store the full details, it has to be done on a standalone box?
Anyway - the Ministry shop has been ticking along happily for 6 months
without a hitch or fake CC.

>SET (secure Electronic Transactions) Protocol (if it ever happens

I heard it's already being used (successfully in tests) in Sweden....

& last note - I personally totally agree with the reverse psychology point -
if you make *too* much of a fuss about how secure it all is, the less likely
a user will buy, I'm sure.

A.
Alice Taylor
C4 Chat Producer - www.channel4.com