From: Geoff Inns
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:43:56 +0100

And the Ft and.. and .. and...

You ask for registration, as in our case, when ALL of your content is
online. Users understand that we need to raise the revenue to pay for all
this and targeted advertising is one way - it is CERTAINLY how the FT makes
its money online, allowing advertisers to target e.g. lawyers across Europe
earning over $100,000. There are companies paying a lot of money for that.

Incidentally, for users that are one-off viewers of our info we are starting
to take stories with Tier 1 partners (MSN, Yahoo, Freeserve etc) outside of
registration. But if they then choose to come back again and again then
they should register.

The issue is how you present your registration scheme i.e. not too
intrusively. We offer a 24 hour guest pass together with an explanation.
But registration is here to stay.

Geoff Inns
Business Development Manager
Guardian Unlimited