Subject: Re: UKNM: anyone got capital?
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:52:35 +0100

At 12:11 pm +0100 18/6/99, Ray Taylor wrote:
>If you ask capital funders why they don't invest in new media startups they
>will tell you that for the most part the people who are starting them do not
>have a clue how to start up and grow a new business, how to write a business
>plan, how to talk to potential investors, etc.

As usual, I agree wholeheartedly with Ray. Most of the UK startups that have
substantial funding have people in their management team with the background
to write a solid bizplan. The lastminute people are ex-Spectrum Strategy (a
world-class boutique telecom/media consultancy); the QXL founder was a journo
on (I think) the FT; these people can reasonably be expected to be able to
write, create financial models, do market research and network properly.

By contrast, the impression I get from the many aspiring entrepreneurs that
call us up here at Multimap.com (notice the name change? We've got .com on
the end of our name and we've got half a million users; are we worth a bill
yet?) is that they are very young... many of them can write compelling copy
but most have done no competitive market research and I very much doubt that
they have financial forecasts beyond the "we're small now; we're going to
be big" variety.

On the other hand, I hear rumour that McKinsey et al are having trouble
getting enough MBAs this year, because half the output from London Business
School, INSEAD, Harvard, IMD, etc. are going into internet startups. And of
course it is more-or-less the better half - the ones the consultancies all
want.

If this is true then the next six months are going to be interesting; these
people can write, they can most certainly do real financial models and they
consume more market research that New Labour at its peak :-) I saw five
or six business plan presentations by LBS MBA candidates a couple of months
ago, and they were all superb; they could all have got several million in
1st/2nd round funding, and these people had just done them as term projects.

I would probably start a flame-war if I said "advice to internet entrepreneur:
go do an MBA, now. The internet will still be here in a year's time; and by
that time there will be more money around, more users and you will be able
to talk with the big-money guys in their own language". Of course that is
a massive overgeneralisation and probably underrates the commercial and
financial acumen of many young entrepreneurs.... but I'd like to hear what
VCs think about that.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a posting from a real VC on this list.
Are they in read-only on UKNM, or just not here? Maybe that's a question
to ask a few at the next First Tuesday...

Cheers all...
Sean