Subject: UKNM: Cost of connecting
From: G. Jefferson
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:16:28 +0100

I've been looking into the cost of a lo-bandwidth leased line vs. ISDN, vs.
unmetered DSL. Right now I'm on-line for hours a day using dial-up and it
costs a fortune. More importantly it *feels* expensive, like when you're in
a taxi in heavy trafic. Every passing minute costs 4p.

So I looked into leased lines and ISDN. From where I live in Kent to
Telehouse would cost c. �7000 a year for 64k. (Why don't ISPs offer local
POPs for leased line access -- a leased line to Ashford would cost about
�4,000 p/a).

With ISDN I could stay on line from 9 am to 6pm every day of the week for 50
weeks at 64k and it would cost "only" �5,400, so a leased line doesn't make
a lot of sense. Is there any reason to even consider it?

Unmetered DSL? Will it ever happen and what would the monthly standing
charge be likely to be?

This isn't as OT as it might appear. Metered access is a psychological
barrier to internet access, hence the appleal of BT's 0800 scam -- an abuse
of position if ever I saw one. Oftel, Monopolies & Mergers, where are you?

Gareth.