[Next] - [Index] [Thread Index] - [Next in Thread]

Subject: UKNM: Help with domain dispute?
From: John Lundberg
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:27:00 +0100

Hi,

I run http//www.circlemakers.org the home of England's crop circle makers
which has been online since 1995. I need some advice about my legal
position re the domain name http://www.circlemakers.com which has recently
been registered to promote a book about crop circle makers [that's us!].
It's just a holding page at the moment but I was gutted when I found out as
I was planning to buy the domain, but this guy got there before me. I've
offered to buy the domain back off of him but he doesn't want to sell.

The point is, I've spent five years building the circlemakers 'brand' both
online and offline, in traditional media such as the NBC-TV and BBC Country
File documentaries that were recently made about us.

Annoyingly, the media often give out the wrong URL for our site [ .com
instead of .org - see the current issue of Internet Magazine for the most
recent example :/ ]. The owner of circlemakers.com has now put up a note
about our site and a link, but it's a small consolation.

Do I have any legal recourse to reclaim the domain? Obviously I don't own a
trademark for the word but I think I could put up a very strong claim for
the domain.

Can anybody help?

Or have I just been shafted!?! If large corporations can claim back their
domains, isn't it time that individuals are given the same rights???

Later,
John

john lundberg: developmental:
johnatdevelopmental [dot] co [dot] uk (mailto:johnatdevelopmental [dot] co [dot] uk) http://www.developmental.co.uk
tel: +44 (0) 171 249 3172 fax: +44 (0) 870 054 8748

[ for too long creation has been a slave to rational time ]