Subject: Re: UKNM: We can now use any fonts we want (almost!)
From: Stewart
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:31:03 GMT

At 10:09 23/03/98 -0000, you wrote:
>w0000p!
>
>check out this press release
>
>http://www.truedoc.com/webpages/intro/pr_activexrel.html
>(remember that Netscape 4 already supports this technology natively)
>
>This means that anyone using 4.0 browsers (ok those using Netscape 4 on
PC/Mac and those using IE 4 on 95/NT etc..) will see fonts embedded using
Bitstream's TrueDoc thingamajig. THIS IS VERY VERY VERY good news.

It's also very very very clunky and very very very not supported by
anything other than Netscape 4. The fonts can also take more time to
download than comparative 'text as images'.

This technology will find it's time when bandwidth gets better (ADSL take a
bow) but for the time being may I steer you typographic leanings to the
power of Cascading Style Sheets. Sure you've still got the same fonts but,
boy can you now layout that page. Add some Javascript and you can do in
HTML what used to be only possible in Java and Shockwave (well on version
4 browsers anyway).

Stewart Dean - Internet Producer