Subject: Re: UKNM: Creativity
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 06:42:12 GMT

From: Caroline Tosswill <carolineatlondon [dot] virgin [dot] net> said:

>Ray Taylor wrote:
>
>> Further, most web advertising is still about building traffic alone. Which
>> is a stupid waste of money, considering the high cost of UK inventory.
>
>this seems to me an absolutely extraordinary comment - of course people
>advertise online to build traffic, it's the most basic requirement for the
>success of a website.
>
>branding is important too, but most campaigns will aim to build both brand and
>traffic......

Caroline, If you use online advertising to build brand as well as traffic,
then I think you are agreeing with my point which is that online advertising
is only cost effective when you use it for more than traffic building
_alone_.

Ideally an online campaign will:

1. Build brand
2. Build immediate traffic
3. Build traffic from people who remember the brand and visit another time
4. Build self-recruiting customer databases
5. Build sales

And perhaps other things too

If all you got from a typical �10,000 banner campaign was 10,000 hits to the
home page then you could get much more traffic for a much lower cost from
site promotion firms like Sitelynx or WebPromote (or NMC), and over a longer
period of time.

But if you manage to cram in all of the above, then perhaps you can justify
the expense. And more to the point, if you deliberately try to make more of
the 99% of your impressions that might not get a click through, then you can
make better use of some of the �9,000 that would otherwise be wasted
advertising spend.

Of course, we could always follow the US model which is to allow the CPM
rate to drop to the point where you can afford to use online advertising for
traffic building alone.

Ray Taylor - 0181 639 0015 - tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com
NMC/Adplan - the online advertising agency
www.nmcadplan.com