Subject: Re: UKNM: The invisible banner?
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:08:20 GMT

At 6:08 am -0500 26/2/99, Robin Edwards wrote:

>Now I would also say, "Yes I ignore banners, but I am not the typical
>Internet
>user."
>
>Or am I?
>
>It is a bit worrying, because even brand awareness banners are generally lost
>on me. After a quick survey (everyone here, friends, family etc.) they all
>said
>pretty much the same thing.

Hm; I ask a number of people the same question, and get the same response as
Robin. However, it is interesting to ask the question like this:

- Do you look at TV ads?
- Do you remember them? Which ones?
- Do they influence your decisions?
- Do you look at banner ads?
- Do you remember them? Which ones?
- Do they influence your decisions?

I find in my own quick and unstructured serveys that people give pretty much
the same answers for TV and banners, except that they are more likely to
recall two or three amusing or well-made TV ads.

Which I think supports the points that Ray and others have been making about
creativity.

Cheers
Sean