Subject: Re: UKNM: Mo' Banner Blues
From: Ben Thompson
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:41:53 GMT

On 1 Mar, Sajid Mohammed wrote:

> Also, better tracking would help i.e. you may see a banner, not
> clickthough and then two weeks later decide that you really do need an
> ethernet hub for your kitchen and go off to visit Inmac or similar.
> But then there are the inevitable issues around privacy and data
> protection. But these issues will have to be addressed sooner or
> later, especially if the commercial exploitation of the Internet is to
> continue apace.

This would actually be awfully simple to do. The problem with click
thrus is simple and has been obvious for two years (when I'm looking
for X, I don't wish to waste time looking at Y). Usually, I click on a
banner, bookmark it and return to what I was doing. Many people don't as
seriously large numbers of people do not know how to bookmark pages.

As such what is needed is an in between stage recording interests.
Done properly we wouldn't even need for people to move out of the site
at all (a link underneath saying Remember This or something could
provide a link that returns you to the current page rather than the
clients site).

Thinking about this, I probably have 97% of the code that would be
required already written and the other 3 percent would probably only
take a day or two. As to privacy and data protection it won't be a
problem as for most people we will not have (or need) a record of their
names and addresses merely a number by which we can track a browser.

Of course two problems still exist, how to ensure people find the list
of adverts they previously clicked on, and an economic model for it. The
obvious answer is a largish link on portal and other sites using the
service but as to the second point all answers (including outright
purchase of code) gratefully received. Any one interested give me a
bell.

Ben
--
Ben Thompson <benatalljobs [dot] com>