Subject: Re: UKNM: Free ISPs and Loyalty Figures
From: Craig Pickup
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:45:31 GMT

Tim Ireland wrote:

>As a consequence of this I would suggest virtual servers (including email
>servers and redirection services) will become *much* more popular over the
>next few months.

I have given this a little more though along with the thread "What's next".

Before free ISPs people generally were reluctant to register their own
domains because of the costs involved - approx GBP 100 initial
registration, GBP 20 per year to maintain registration, and around �50 per
year for email forwarding. With the cost of ISP connection now removed the
additional cost of personal domain names is not that much to bear. I think
you will see an increasing number of people registering their own domains
as a result which has much preference over the virtual servers Tim refers to.

Currently I do not think that any of the free ISPs offer domain hosting.
Standard web hosting and email forwarding packages for your own domain
(without any connectivity) are around GBP 15.00 per month. It is easy to
envisage the free ISPs moving towards domain name hosting for a lot less
than this, afterall the marginal cost is minimal to them once the domain is
registered.

So my prediction for the future will be free connection ISPs offering much
cheaper if not totally free domain name hosting.

Craig Pickup
Digitrade Ltd