Subject: UKNM: Matha -- how not to do it
From: Ben Rooney
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:52:10 GMT

My (late) tuppence worth on that floatation.

Anyone watching the press coverage of Ms Lane Fox will see that she is
being set up for the most almighty fall -- the classic media ploy -- put
them on a pedestal and then kick the pedestal away. I fear, that through no
particular fault of hers, she has been very very badly advised.

It does not take archepiscopal brains to realise that the media needs "a
face" to embody whatever it is -- and although she may not have wished it,
she has become the face of e-commerce, New media, whatever term Fleet
Street wants to use. It may well be that it has helped build Lastminute's
brand (and contribute to the share price hype) -- but as far far bigger
fish have found, those who try to use the media for their own ends find,
things don't work out quite as they imagined.

As soon as Ms Lane Fox started to become the living embodiment of this
"revolution", Lastminute would have been well advised to have got some
professional media relations/publicity people in to help build the right
image. I swear if I hear her say she is as technological as a peanut (or
what ever it is) one more time I am going to scream. I don't know who
handled the company's PR, but if they were not advising her on her image,
then I wonder why? She has been far too over exposed.

If/when lastminute all goes horribly pear-shaped she will find that the
very people who were lauding her, will turn on her.

The lesson? Think very carefully before cosying too close to the media.

Ben

Ben Rooney, Editor, Connected

(email) ben [dot] rooneyattelegraph [dot] co [dot] uk (web) http://www.telegraph.co.uk
(tel) +44 (0)20 7538 6973
The Telegraph Group Ltd, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DT
Registered in England No. 451593