Subject: Re: UKNM: to the website designers out there
From: kahlil garbo
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:18:47 +0100

---Lee Atkinson <L [dot] Atkinsonatharleywest [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:
> My boss has just strolled in and said, " Right lads, from now on you
> aren't to use frames anymore because there is a backlash to using them
> within the industry"
>
> and that was that.
>
> any thoughts?

Frames are problematic for two reasons:

1. They take control of the browser window away from the user, which
is deviating from the original vision of HTML being a cross-platform
standard which could gracefully degrade - for example, for blind users
utilising text-to-braille or text-to-speech systems.

2. They cause problems in bookmarking and also cause problems for
robots that index sites for search engines.

IMHO, you'll see that high volume sites like news.com and Yahoo! don't
use frames and it doesn't seem to cause a problem. Frames are
something that should be used with discretion, rather like high
explosives or poison. There are sites like http://www.fray.com/ that
make a virtue out of using frames.

But a frames backlash? It's news to me.

Sajid Mohammed