Subject: RE: UKNM: AOL Going Free
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:15:56 +0100

On Thursday, May 06, 1999 9:31 AM, Bunder, Leslie
[SMTP:Leslie [dot] Bunderatinfospaceuk [dot] com] wrote:
> Yes, there's been quite a bit of debate on this in various newsgroups.
> Seems they are testing a ?14.99 a month package with access via an 0800
> number.
>
> With that pricing point there seems to be quite a bit of margin for
> them, the only issue is how they plan to stop abusers from treating the
> 0800 number like a leased line!

Particularly if their infrastructure supports ISDN, like Freeserve and Demon. I
quite fancy the idea of a 128k leased line at home (dual bonded ISDN, as used
to be supported by Freeserve) for 14.99 a month plus BT's ISDN charges...

Didn't Demon go through the same problems with a trial in Hull a fair while
ago, where users stayed permanently logged on, thus jamming up the phone
network? It's clearly tricky to get the balance right between cost and level of
service. I would be surprised if AOL didn't introduce at least some form of
limiting factor (e.g. 0.1p per minute charge)

Robin

--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx Design Limited