Subject: Re: UKNM: AOL Going Free
From: Steve Mynott
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:18:35 +0100

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 02:54:53PM +0100, Robin Edwards wrote:

> Didn't Demon go through the same problems with a trial in Hull a fair while
> ago, where users stayed permanently logged on, thus jamming up the phone
> network? It's clearly tricky to get the balance right between cost and level of
> service. I would be surprised if AOL didn't introduce at least some form of
> limiting factor (e.g. 0.1p per minute charge)

Already there are reports that the screaming.net service users simply
get continuous engaged tones.

Anyone lucky enough to connect is likely then to remain permanently
connected compounding the problem.

There Ain't No Such Thing As a Free Lunch.

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steveattightrope [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk http://www.pineal.com/

progress (n.): the process through which the internet has evolved from smart
people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart
terminals.