Subject: Re: UKNM: More webwashing
From: Steve Mynott
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:04:00 +0100

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 03:19:41PM +0100, Charlie [dot] Williamsatecsoft [dot] co [dot] uk wrote:

> Of course, they added banners as they went along, but recently they
> underwent a complete face-lift on the site. It seems to have crossed the
> line that seperates info sites with an acceptable number of banners from
> banner sites with a bit of info at the bottom of each page. Before the
> re-design it looked fairly okay, ie: nondescript as a text-based info site
> should be, plus a couple of easily-ignorable banners. Now it just looks
> shite.
>
> This is what happens when web designers assume users don't mind ads.
>
> Just my 2d.

I totally agree .. it will be interesting to see how long Deja stays
like that. maybe it will prove to be as successful as Netscape's use
of layers on their home page about two years, ie. not very successful
as all..

A example of _good_ (minimal) banner ad use is of course Yahoo ...

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steveattightrope [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk http://www.pineal.com/

the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
-- justice louis d. brandeis