Subject: UKNM: RE: Isram
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:56:16 +0100

Someone asked about Isram.

I had a funny call from them.... first of all I thought they said 'Islam'
and spent a while having a bizarre conversation with them until I mentioned
the headline on the homepage - something to do with 'holy war'... anyway
after that the chap (gimp?) who phoned me proceeded to tell me that, for the
benefit of being listed on a site that has yet to be launched in a category
that is at least 3 layers down from the top of the tree, I could be listed
for a mere �1500 per annum (I think that was about it).

After the laughter died down and a bit of waffle about consumer choice it
came down to this - they'll only list 35 sites in each category and once
they're filled, they're filled. If we don't get in then blah, blah (I
switched off for a while here).... After that I explained to him that I
thought that he had absolutely no grounds to expect site to pay that kind of
money for a small listing on a site that had no traffic whatsoever and no
grounds for those kind of charges. He gave me a few catchy questions
strikingly similar to the ones below.

He could hardly believe that I wasn't convinced by an offer like this and
his final throw of the dice was to tell me that they were backed by Saatchi
and Saatchi. The silence was deafening - So? What do S & S know about the
online world?

Suffice to say that the phone call stopped pretty soon afterwards with both
of us going our separate ways. Their concept has to be a joke - at least
Shopsmart lists everyone (it makes it's money based on results - a much
better route to follow!).

So what they're looking for here are the 'soundbites' - provide them if you
want to.