Subject: RE: UKNM: ADMIN: Times are a changin'
From: Steve Johnston/IMRG
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:10:15 +0000 (GMT)

>>Sam are you tinkering with the bottom-line, in which
>>case you'll hear no more from me on the subject, or are
>>there bigger plans afoot. We should be told.

>We should be told no such thing. We are not stakeholders
>we are freeloaders. If you don't like the way Sam runs
>HIS list, unsub. Sam's been providing the free tea and
>scones here for quite a while. How long should he have
>to pay for it out of his own hide?

>Glenn Fleishman put it to a vote on the original
>Internet Marketing List. Those who don't study the
>past will be condemned to discuss it as if it never
>happened: http://www.i-m.com/archives/latest/0306.html

I don't know if you saw my first couple of posts on this thread, but I see
nothing but support for my original concerns in your email and in your
historical pointers.

My initial concerns were always about the value of being a subscriber, i.e.
the productivity with which a topic could be discussed. I never had a
problem with Sam making money out of the list, that would have been naive
and churlish, and I will not pass into the modest history of this list as
the guy would complained about the sponsorship, because I didn't.

I expressed my concerns in terms of the lists growing popularity and how
the references to media publicity at the time would accelerate this. Not
because I am elitist, but because as the list grows, the productivity will
fall. This much is evident from your lesson from history. Glenn Fleishman's
own words: "Frankly, I believe, even with the continued and active
participation of a good fraction of its membership, that the level of
discussion on the list has become less and less interesting over time, and
we're repeating ourselves ad nauseum for the most part." Now why does this
sound familiar?

Also at least on the Internet Marketing List they discussed what to do
about it in advance. Having said that, I am fairly certain, that the
contributors to this list would have voted for some modest sponsorship
rather than fork out a financial subscription. So we get back to where we
are.

I do however reject your suggestion that I am freeloading. My contribution
to this community is without doubt professionally motivated, but I care
that it is an effective debating ground, as there is a constituent to my
participation that is to do with loyalty to my profession as opposed to
loyalty to my employer.

In closing, maybe it impossible for a list like this to survive its
success.

Steve Johnston
Director of Development
The IMRG