Subject: Re: UKNM: online ad tolerance collapsing
From: azeem azhar, list
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:59:46 +0000 (GMT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Sleight <Ross [dot] SleightatBMPINTERACTION [dot] com>
To: 'uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com' <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
Date: 09 November 1998 19:32

>(c) Sorry to harp on about relevance but I believe that just slapping
>ads online with a one size fits all targeting / creative strangles at birth
>any attempt to utilise the medium's potential. I believe we need to enter
>into "value contracts" (damn - jargon alert) with consumers online - i.e. we
>can bring you relevant offers / services / content etc. in a promotional
>form if you tell us a little about yourself. Highly targeted marketing
>works - less wastage, better quality responses, greater ROI. If we use the
>net as a mass marketing medium (most ads online do treat the medium in the
>same way as TV) then we will see increasing consumer disapproval and apathy.
>We see this on TV now. (Caveat of caveat: Of course, this survey says
>nothing about increasing brand awareness, changing brand perceptions etc.

In fact, good targetting can reduce your per-clickthrough cost and hence
your customer acquisition cost. (at least in theory).

>which TV advertising can do and, I suppose by stretching the hypothetical
>model to online, if the net is used as a mass marketing medium, online can
>also achieve)
>
>Final random thought - on average we receive 2-3,000 commercial messages a
>day from all media (and if you are online, add another 100 to that for a
>couple of hours surfing). How many commercial messages do we actually act
>upon? 1 or 2 a week? And is acting upon a commercial message offline the
>equivalent of a clickthrough online? And does this mean that lower
>clickthroughs actually provides better quality leads/sales?

not really . . . but at 25 quid per thousand, you've got to ask whether you
wouldn't be better marching a fleet of bikini-clad sandwich men (yes, I said

men) down oxford street with "XYZ Laser Printers cover everything. (Unlike th
ese sandwich boards)" emblazonned all over them (okay, i'm not a
copywriter).