Subject: RE: UKNM: online ad tolerance collapsing
From: Phil Gyford
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:00:15 +0000 (GMT)

At 18:41 09/11/98 +0000, Ross wrote:
>Final random thought - on average we receive 2-3,000 commercial messages a
>day from all media (and if you are online, add another 100 to that for a
>couple of hours surfing). How many commercial messages do we actually act
>upon? 1 or 2 a week? And is acting upon a commercial message offline the
>equivalent of a clickthrough online? And does this mean that lower
>clickthroughs actually provides better quality leads/sales?

Small thought... In theory don't we act on these commercial messages almost
every time we buy something, go to the cinema, etc? While we can get
definite figures (clickthroughs) for online ads, are we ignoring the harder
to determine impact of advertising which is all people have to go on in the
offline world? I guess effective sponsorship and promotion has more effect
in this area than banner ads do, but I'll stop here for I'm getting rather
out of my depth.

Phil Gyford
w:0171.766.6491 / h:0171.622.9058 / m:0850.958.299

http://www.gyford.com / philatgyford [dot] com / icq:3794783
Deputy Editor, Capital Interactive / http://capitalinteractive.com