Subject: UKNM: Re: Charity e-fundraising
From: Charles Linn
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:45:09 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks to everyone for comments both on and off list

General advice on e-mail lists seems to be "don't", and yes I can see the
pitfalls. This mailing has raised an interesting point for me, which is when
is unsolicited email unacceptable?

All respondants to my mailing have implied it is always unacceptable on first
consideration, but this is not my direct experience within FOE.

Whether you think they are a good idea or bogus, email petitions are fairly
popular within Friends of the Earth and I have sent of many messages to various
targets encouraged by an initial mailing from the likes of WWF and Amnesty.
Neither I nor my collegues object to this even though it is unsolicited. I
wonder if home users object more as their email service is not free but they
have to pay for a connection.

How about if the mailing to them did not directly ask for money, but advertised
a service? e.g.

"Find out about environmental problems in your area, how they affect you and
what you can do about it at www.blah.blah.

If you like the site and found it useful, please consider helping us continue
this work. We are a totally independantly funded organisation who relly on the
support people like you provide"

In other words, you merely pointed them to a website address which was
providing a useful service, but also happened to have a fundraising element to
it. I think that this approach is sensitive, but has potential. The question
is, is it possible to avoid pissing anyone off from a list, even if it is
targetted and they are already charity givers, and is that risk so high that it
cancels out the possilbe bennefits of letting a very large number of people
know about a free service you provide?

Cheers

Chas

--