Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Charity e-fundraising
From: Nick Sellors
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:22:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:30:40 +0000, "Charles Linn"
<charleslatfoe [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

>General advice on e-mail lists seems to be "don't", and yes I can see the
>pitfalls. This mailing has raised an interesting point for me, which is when
>is unsolicited email unacceptable?
>
>All respondants to my mailing have implied it is always unacceptable on first
>consideration, but this is not my direct experience within FOE.

Charles, I don't mean to be heavy-handed here but, yes, Unsolicited
Commercial/Bulk Email (UCE/UBE) is *always* unwelcome and I can
guarantee that someone *will* complain and then your ISP is in the
unfortunate position of having to apply its AUP - this is completely
provider-independant as any reputable ISP will do this and you
wouldn't want to touch the unreputable ones, trust me.

>Whether you think they are a good idea or bogus, email petitions are fairly
>popular within Friends of the Earth and I have sent of many messages to various
>targets encouraged by an initial mailing from the likes of WWF and Amnesty.
>Neither I nor my collegues object to this even though it is unsolicited. I
>wonder if home users object more as their email service is not free but they
>have to pay for a connection.

There's an element of that, yes, but its about "abuse" of shared
resources - the internet is a collaborative venture, after all.
Let's say you sent a 10k email to, for instance, all of Demon's
250,000 nodes - that's 250,000 x 10k = 2,500,000,000 (2.5 GB) bytes
in total extra on the UK internet alone. All it takes is one of
those 250k people to complain and you have a problem.

>How about if the mailing to them did not directly ask for money, but advertised
>a service? e.g.
>
>"Find out about environmental problems in your area, how they affect you and
>what you can do about it at www.blah.blah.

Its not about the content.

>The question
>is, is it possible to avoid pissing anyone off from a list, even if it is
>targetted and they are already charity givers

If you do this, you *will* piss people off, I can guarantee you
that. Apart from anything else, most of them will get so much UCE
that they won't even read it, let alone do anything about it.

>and is that risk so high that it
>cancels out the possilbe bennefits of letting a very large number of people
>know about a free service you provide?

A free service that you're (effectively) charging them to advertise.

Bottom line - if someone sends me UCE/UBE I won't buy anything from
them, I won't visit their website and I *will* forward the mail to
their ISPs abuse department.

I doubt I am alone.

N.
--