Subject: Re: UKNM: Dirty Tricks in the UK web industry?
From: Steve Johnston/IMRG
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:43:44 +0000 (GMT)

>> So tell me, oh masters of all that is ethical (I'm assuming it is only they
>> that are complaining) why it is not clearer amongst the 'reputable' firms
>>listed in Revolution Magazine's Creative Portfolio this month, who did the
>> Mini, Audi and Peperami sites ?

>As far as Mini and Peperami go, I would've thought it was clear from the
>portfolio; we worked on the production of both (with APL) and continue to
>provide hosting services to them both.

Look again, the perception, because a 'creative' image is shown in both
cases, is that you were both responsible for the 'creative' work because
the work done was not described.

>> Both APL and Good Technology reference them with no qualifiers and with no
>> reference to each other.

>If you look at our home page, you'll see we're quite open about our working
>relationship with APL. They're clearly linked to, as a result of the work we
>did with them for Compaq Grand Slam. We have a satellite team working in
>their offices, which I guess is the reason why some of this confusion has
>arisen.

Wrong again. There is a link to something called Amarati Puris Lintas which
opens up a tennis site. Not quite an openess I'd expect your clients to get
to grips with.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not suspect 'sharp' practice in this
particular instance, and I have no beef with the parties involved, quite
the contrary, but I am an industry insider, and I am confused. What hope so
your clients have? I know that APL stands for Asdfkljsd Purdflkgj Lintas or
something, but even they didn't put their full name in the said portfolio.

I am assuming that this portfolio was intended for something other than
industry preening. Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, it was a complete coincidence, Tom, what with this being your thread,
that the example I chanced upon was your own 'good' firm.

Steve Johnston
Director of Development
The IMRG

www.imrg.org