Subject: Re: UKNM: freeserve numbers - comments anyone?
From: Mike Butcher
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:28:33 +0000 (GMT)

It just goes to show what a barrier the issue of cost has been to the
development of the consumer market in the UK. But I dispute the 10% figure
- that looks like home users only. Still, it's an amazing achievement -
especially when you consider AOL hit 500,000 only the other day, and after
about 2 years of plugging away.

The great thing is that apart from attracting some people from other ISPs,
Freeserve actually appears to be expanding the market.

An interesting model is the free-to-use, entirely ad-supported ISP. check
out http://www.netzero.com in the States.

Mike

>Over 40 per cent of Freeserve's customers are new to the Internet,
> logging on for the first time with Freeserve. Freeserve estimates that
> this represents an increase of more than 10 per cent in the number of
> people online in the UK (**).

>(**) Total number of UK dial-up accounts estimated to be approx 1.8
>million.
>[...]

P.S.

New direct phone number from Monday, Nov 16th: 0171 5777 254
Send JOIN ALERT to matthewbatcentaur [dot] co [dot] uk (mailto:matthewbatcentaur [dot] co [dot] uk)