Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Credit Card Fraud
From: Ken Cowley
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:05:24 GMT

I believe that the situation with on-line clearance is little different to
any 'cardholder not present' transaction (e.g. over the phone).

Cardholder not present = vendor at risk
Cardholder present (and appropriate checks made, e.g. signature verified) =
bank at risk.

Vendors should implement their own check routine whether taking cards
on-line or through, for example, a call centre.

You don't necessarily lose the details when sending to an on-line provider.
Datacash and other component based systems provide an easy route using their
components, as the script calling the component could also stash the details
on the server (where data protection comes in you'd have to check). Netbank
uses a <form action= (a Netbanx server-side script)> but you could have it
target your own cgi which then passes it on - the same route used by portals
to check links clicked before passing over to Amazon, or whatever. Don't
know what Netbanx' position is on this - but if you're really dedicated
you'd spoof the http-referrer so they wouldn't know anyway.

As an aside, where do on-line third party fulfilment companies come in? The
Internet appears to be 'disintermediating' the merchant too, so they just
become the marketing front-end for someone else's warehouse. Anyone any
experience of a fulfilment house taking fraud risk, or offering combined
credit card/fulfilment service including fraud risk?

Also this whole area looks ripe for an insurance based solution, there being
(presumably) enough statistics around for actuaries to get their teeth
into - is there one?