Subject: Re: UKNM: Brand-building banners (poor placements)
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:52:36 GMT

will simmonds <willsateuropean-internet [dot] com> asks:

> Whilst we are on the subject of banners does anybody have any more
examples
> of
> really bad banner placements.

See any issue of New Media Age, "Banner Watch" etc.

The most common failing with most of these campaigns from the point of view
of banner placement, is sticking to the obvious sites for any given subject,
eg financial product sites advertised on financial portals, etc.

Nothing wrong with placing financial products on financial sites. But why
not think a bit more about it and look for other sites that reflect the
"lifestyle," aspirations, other interests, etc., of the target audience?
I'll tell you why, because it takes a bit more effort than most trad
agencies, web design agencies, marketing managers and all the other amateurs
who like to dabble in this area are prepared to expend on such a mundane
thing as banner advertising. Hence the reportedly falling click rates.

I repeat. If you want a job done professionally, hire a professional to do
it. If you want to organise a chimps tea party, please call Chimpzi and
Chimpzi, Soho.

Ray Taylor
eyeconomy is on the move - www.eyeconomy.com/contact.htm for details