From: D.Dias
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:11:52 GMT

----Original Message-----
>> A new topic for you which I'd really like to get some feedback for... has
>> anyone ever had any success buying into mailing lists? i did one with
>> dotmusic in which i used a response url unique to that mailing and out of
>> the 31,000 names I was told they had on their mailing list I had
>> a response

>> of 27, two of which were me! Has anyone used a mailing list that actually
>> delivers results. I know it has a lot to do with the message, but you'd
>> have thought more people would want to win a �400 MP3 phone.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lisa

We find Forrester's 10% click-thru, 2.5% response rule to be pretty
accurate.

eg. 10% will click on your advert, eg. 3100 click-thrus

and 2.5% will respond, eg. 77

So it would seem that Dotmusic's list seems to be underperforming or they
don't have a cleandatabase. I'd suspect the latter - when buying advertising
on mailing lists ask the publisher what system they use for bounce
management and insist on delivery reports. If they can't do this [as
Dotmusic currently can't] then don't pay to advertise on their database and
insist on a cost-per-action model. They may have 31,000 email addresses
on their database by what use if half of them are 'dead'!

We find advertising in email newsletters works a treat if you have a clean
database, and a targeted offer. We can send out special offers to our
in-house list for new merchandise on a Friday and by Monday we've got a few
more grand in the bank.

Finally, get the publisher to integrate the competition into their editorial
as opposed to placing an advert, eg. endorse the competition