Subject: Re: UKNM: Brand-building banners
From: Ashley Pomeroy
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:12:08 GMT

content will, in effect, be advertorial produced by hotshot producers for
big-buck advertising clients.<<<<

[the following email contains wild generalisations]

Seems plausible, although horrific, as in my mind 'advertorial' = 'airline
magazine' or 'promotional flyer'. Such as 'Icon', NTL's interactive
content guide for their digital television services, which is currently
sitting next to my left hand.
It's staring at me. I don't like it. Go away.
It has lots of words and pretty pictures, but no content whatsoever worth
speaking of. The same applies to the 'advertising features' in popular
magazines - they are usually extremely conservative, dull, and unable to
find any fault at all in the product. And nobody is likely to trust an
advertising feature.

Witness all of satellite and cable television in the UK, where a full 100%
of all programmes are devoid of any value, and are only watched by people
who don't have the gumption to move from their sofa. As these people are
hardly likely to use their telephone for anything more than pizza, why
advertise to them? Unless you're a pizza company.

Mind you, there are those who would argue that all existing content of all
kinds, from 'Which?' magazine to 'American Psycho', is advertising, if
only for itself.

-
"In the land of the blind, the blindest man is king"
Ashley Pomeroy - arpatslab [dot] org - http://www.ashleypomeroy.com/