Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #770
From: Tom
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:51:38 GMT

>I think what Ray is saying is that Web broadcasts are at a lower resolution
>than TV - so you can film it with a digital camera and post production can
>be done on a desktop, not in a studio @ �1K an hour plus all the cocaine
you
>can carry.

Just because it is "the web" doesn't mean you can lower your production
values. Crap always looks and sounds like crap. Which part of "the web"
allows for low-quality production? And what exactly do you mean by "lower
resolution"? PC monitors have higher DPI and better colour resolution than
TVs. Are you talking about the need for compression of web-borne video? I
suggest you watch any Sorensen encoded movie trailer.

The savings you cite of desktop editing and DV cams are symptomatic more of
technological advances in the capabilities of those apps and devices than
any restrictions of "the web". Whilst these developments do indeed reduce
costs, enough TV and cinema is already produced using these things to prove
that poor quality cannot be excused by a misplaced low-rent ideal of the
internet.

Tom Dussek

Seminars, exhibitions, networking events, parties, conferences.
Finding it difficult to keep up and plan ahead?

Sign up for Chinwag's weekly new media events newsletter,
all the events you need to know about, direct to your inbox.

http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/e_index.shtml