Subject: RE: UKNM: Digital TV (was: Free ISPs Vs. Paying ISPs (Don't Mention Dixons))
From: Ross Sleight
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:11:10 +0100

Sajid Mohammed said:

>I thought that half of the appeal of ON Digital was that Midland Bank
>were partnering up to provide e-commerce services, with the upstream
>data going over a good old fashioned phone via the gift of modem.
>Remember, they used to call themselves British *Interactive*
>Broadcasting...

Sajid - no - BIB is still called BIB and owned by BSkyB (32.5%), BT (32.5%),
Midland Bank (20%) and Matsushita (15%) - and is the satellite (and they
wish every other platform) interactive compadre with Sky Digital. On
Digital is owned 50% by Carlton and 50% by Granada and is the terrestrial
player in the marketplace which used to be called British Digital
Broadcasting (BDB) hence maybe the confusion.

>They will be offering various services, but no web browser. Which is
>criminal, as many companies like Spyglass and NCI offer lightweight
>web browsers for set-top which are very happy running on top of lovely
>microkernel OSes like OS/9 and GEOS. Cor blimey, guvnor, I love
>embedded systems...

Essentially, if they do offer web access it is bound to be in a closed
environment (or dare I say it walled garden) with only certain sites
available - a bit like LineOne really.

The point of my reply is to raise a new topic based on the hypothesis that
BIB may offer web access in this closed format, or even Cable might (btw
Sajid, I hope cable is a winner as well - its the only one with a true
backchannel therefore more opportunity for interactivity, they fit the boxes
for free as they are rented not bought, they can do
Telephony/TV/Net/Interactive services thingies in bundled deals etc old
arguments etc..., and if only they can sort out customer services...)

What is wrong with walled gardens for the mass Internet audience, or for Dig
Interactive TV viewers? Should/shouldn't the net be filtered and
editorially controlled? Should/shouldn't it be easier to find your way round
(lets say 50 sites not 5000) and utilise the best utility/information from
trusted on and off line brands?

I'm just interested to hear people's views - and be aware that I am asking
this question from a mass audience perspective - think of man on Clapham
omnibus, not the new media industry bandwagon, before I burn in a barrage of
unholy flames about freedom of choice because imho in most traditional media
it doesn't exist for the average consumer....its a filtered choice of

several different quality sources based on a commercial return for the media
owner.

Whaddyareckon?

Bests

Ross