Subject: UKNM: Free ISPs Vs. Paying ISPs (Don't Mention Dixons)
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:03:13 +0100

Hello,

The fortunes of the ISP industry have changed rapidly over the last
couple of weeks, with the launch of FreeServe &
BTClickPlusWe'veBeenHammeredByOftelAndDixons. Soon, we will see the
launch of C&W's own free (?) service as well - I'm sure others are
looking at this market also.

Especially as apparently a whopping 66% of domestic PC users aren't on
the Net - is this really true? Also, it appears ON Digital (the mooks)
are not going be offering web access via their box - they won't be
offering access to Sky Digital's EPG either, but that's another
story...I think it's a bad move on ON Digital not to support the Web,
which is established and has an audience. Something you can't really
say about Digital TV yet.

Which means that there's going to be an almighty feeding frenzy like
the early days of ISPs - remember how EasyNet aquired loads of small
ISPs that had gone bust or weren't doing too well? I can see that
history will repeat itself, first as tragedy, then as farce.

Obviously, the paid-for ISPs have to move up the value chain. Already,
they can legitimately say that by offering free unlimited tech support
and not levying a surcharge on the cost of your call to the POP that
they have a higher-value proposition. Also, it's been rumoured for
several days that Virgin.Net are planning to go 0800 on their dial-up
access. Which to my eyes adds value to their proposition.

But how else can ISPs outmanouver the free ISP mob? Providing portal
content, e-commerce, Quake servers and streaming media etc. etc. is
all very well and good. But where are paying ISPs wanting at the
moment?
Personally, I just want super-fast access. Any ISP that wanted to
offer me a dirt-cheap ISDN or leased line would get my interest - but
I can't see that happening anytime soon.

It may even come to pass that most paying ISPs mutate/aggregate into
business-to-business services organisations, offering large scale
connectivity for companies tied into bespoke Intranet/Extranet
solutions using Notes/Domino or whatever - leaving the free ISPs to
the consumers.

What services would people like to see the paid-for ISPs provide -
which could differentiate them from the free ISPs?

Sajid Mohammed

http://www.youcanthelpbutgetthefeelingthattheresacertaincachetabouthavingaurlafteryournameattheendofanemail.com/buticantgetoverlyexcitedabouttheprospect.html/