Subject: Re: UKNM: Price matching
From: Steve Bowbrick
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:24:07 +0100

<001601bdf207$e42402a0$a09659c3@evc>
Sender: owneratchinwag [dot] com

At 19:21 07/10/98 +0100, you wrote:
>a la Priceline?

No. I should have been clearer.

Three kinds of supplier:

1. New intermediaries: Priceline, Insuremarket et al. Brokers who get you
the best price from participating suppliers and make a turn on the
transaction.

2. 'Neutral' comparison engines. Excite etc. Companies who run engines
across many (not necessarily participating) sites and just supply the price
- funded by ads/whatever.

3. Primary suppliers who embrace the inevitability of easy price comparison
and offer to do it for you. So, you tell Dixons you're looking for a 28"
Sony TV and they run the comparison, bring you the prices from Comet,
Argos, Selfridges etc. and then *automatically* match the best (or perhaps
offer you a harder-to-compare mix of product and service which preserves
their margin). As I said yesterday, even if they can't or won't match the
best price, they have at least opened a dialogue - something that's
unavaliable to them if the punter uses Jango or whatever.

This third group is what I had in mind. Brave outfits who would rather you
didn't use somebody else's comparison engine...

--
Steve Bowbrick Webmedia Group
0171 292 5545 0468 257 570

http://www.webmedia.com/steve steveatwebmedia [dot] com (mailto:steveatwebmedia [dot] com)