Subject: RE: UKNM: chartered status for web professionals
From: Lee Rickler
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:59:37 +0100

>Going back to the sheriff part of 'Half of UK sites are "broken"', it is a
>tricky issue - on the one hand it would be nice to stop fly by night cowboy
>operations tarring the good name of the rest of the industry, on the other
>hand any sort of "guild" approach might become dangerously cartel like (and
>bureaucratic).

Why does it have to be cartelish ?

Surely an elected(?) body would represent the whole of it's memebers.
Price fixing is another thing altogether. There is no way that I would go
after the same clients as, for example, Online Magic and expect to be
able to charge the same.

I'd assume, and hope, the guild/ association would take on all sorts of
different sized companies and not just the big boys. Then there would be
no point in organizing anything anyway.

> Obviously I'd also urge you all to
>take a look at http://www.assocaition.org/ and consider joining (please
>forgive the state of the website - built by volunteers, a new one coming
>soon courtesy of the kindness of Sapient/Studio Archetype)

I rest my case !!

>cheers
>
>Robin

No ... thank you,

Lee

* -- leeaturbanmediadesigns [dot] com -- *
* -- urbanmediadesigns.com -- *
* -- djindex.com -- *
* -- summerfestivals.com -- *
* -- and soon ... releasethegroove.com -- *