Subject: Re: UKNM: AdFilter - The death of ad-banners?
From: Felix Velarde
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:31:02 +0100

On 14/10/98 I read:

>I nasty bit of software just to keep us on our toes.
>As you cruise around the Internet viewing web pages, ADfilter works
>in the background, intelligently removing advertisements, pop-up windows
>and other items that slow down your experience - saving your valuable
>time, money and sanity!" From www.adfilter.com

We've been using (we in this case means my wife and I) a piece of
freeware called WebFree for the last two years that does exactly the
same job, and has user-configurable options to remove banners should
they change shape in the future, even if they are served from the
same server as the host page.

>Personally I don't believe that users are concerned by banners. In
>fact, as with magazines and TV, users probably see adverts as a part
>of the content.

We (Head) were asked to review banners recently - we couldn't recall
a single banner ad since the H-P 'Pong' banner from, I think, 1996 -
oh, apart from a banner for a Finnish mobile phone company done by
someone who applied for a job with us. Our sister company Underwired
did do some research a while ago that showed that in the UK at least
only a fraction of a percent of non-industry surfers (they were
volunteers from three music-related newsgroups) could recall a single
banner 'brand'. My own view is that for the ten grand you'll spend on
a tiny campaign you could do some on-line PR for your site that will
be worth its weight in gold - Underwired did a short campaign (for
around STG6k) for the PWC / Coopers & Lybrand CF site which increased
qualified traffic by 170percent over nine weeks. A similarly-priced
banner campaign for another client produced a surge of just under
four percent.

Felix Velarde

director Head New Media
success is about interaction