Subject: Re: UKNM: Free vs paid for ISPs
From: Jim Sterne
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:33:39 +0100

At 01:33 AM 10/15/98 , Steve Bowbrick wrote:

The question was whether punters on a free service
are worth more or less than those on a paid ISP.

>This is silly. It's a matter of habit. We're accustomed to paying for
>access so it will take a while for free to become the norm. However, once
>it does, captains of industry will be lining up alongside yoof and grannies
>for the free stuff

You're right, Corporal, but there's another reason this
discussion falls into the silly bin. "Free" means that
I filled out a form. "Free" means the ISP knows a lot
about me - like where I surf and what I click on. My
ISP has more clickstream data about me that anybody else.

Now THAT is spinning copper wires into gold for advertisers.

Hello? Yes, I'd like to show my banner to people who live
within five miles of any Uncle Whimpies Upscale Shrimp
Palace, who hang out on football Web sites and have been
shoppping for a new car. My banner just happens to be an
opportunity to win a new Range Rover and a pair of tickets to
the next World Cup with every purchase of Uncle Whimpies
Cajun Popcorn.

Take my money, PLEASE!

Jim Sterne Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
jsterneattargeting [dot] com www.targeting.com
Author, Speaker, Consultant +1 805-965-3184
Internet Marketing & Customer Service Strategy Consulting