Subject: Re: UKNM: AdFilter - The death of ad-banners?
From: Jamie Unwin
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:33:36 +0100

I agree with Darren, as web sites get more graphically rich and speeds get
faster a 22k banner ad is not a terrible intrusion on my page (OK I know
this is controversial, and I as much as anyone don't like site with huge
pointless graphics, but we aren't using 14.4k modems and Mosaic anymore)

But those popup windows, horrible....

(a) They have a habit of crashing browsers (ok, not as often any more)
(b) The next time you open a window it is the size of the pop-up
(c) They just get in the way on a small monitor

Now if people are annoyed by banner adds, then using a pop-up window as
part of your campaign, would be like doing a traditional mail based
mailout, but instead of a coupon and a letter in the envelope, the recipent
finds a mousetrap !

Surely the idea of markerting is not to upset your target audience

I think that pop-up are going the same way as frames anyway (ie. dieing out)

jamie

>> I don't believe that users are concerned by banners.
>
>As a user, you're right, banners don't particularly concern me.
>
>But pop-up window ads do.

[snip]

>Personally, I find them an unwelcome intrusion.
>
>Darren Wallace, Marketing Manager
Jamie Unwin : jamieatnml [dot] guardian [dot] co [dot] uk : http://www.guardian.co.uk
The Guardian : 3-7 Ray Street, London, EC1R 3DJ : Tel. 0171 713 4469