Subject: Re: UKNM: New subject - Can you advise?
From: James Cronin
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:23:21 +0100

[Sam says: thanks to everyone for all the domain name registration help, that's probably covered off now, further responses to Amanda directly, cheers.
]

> Amanda,
>
> Nominet charge �99 per domain, �79 if you buy over 5

but they won't host it for you.
> http://www.nominet.co.uk

http://www.nominet.org.uk/ actually - or www.nic.uk
(I remember when I used to own nominet.co.uk :)

There are more elements to this than just the name though...

You need to pay:

i) for a naming authority to give you the name - this is either nominet
or the Internic (or various other country level nic's (nominet if it
ends in .uk and internic for non-country-specifics like .com, .org,
.gov, ....)

ii) for someone to provide the DNS for your domain (ie run the computer
that actually handles the lookups everytime someone says where's

www.london-electricity.co.uk and it says, ahh you want 195.40.6.20
or whatever...) This is often called handling the delegation.

iii) for the services that you want to run from it. ie. someone to
make your mail@thedomain work and someone to give you webspace if
you want http://www.thedomain/ the work.

You can pay people like netnames to act as an agent for you to do
i and ii together, but it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself.

Hope this makes things a little clearer...

James.
xx