Subject: Re: UKNM: Quixell - QVC on the Net?
From: Steve Bowbrick
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:31:57 GMT

The online auction model is clearly based on the assumption that a
significant proportion of punters will behave irrationally. A recent
Economist article pointed out that auctions make money on the basis that
most winning bids will be *higher* than the fair price. I almost bid on an
Epson USB printer but then checked its 'street price' on the web and found
that the last three Quixell bids were all higher - not just one idiot but
THREE! Worse, I still felt oddly compelled to bid on it!

To finish (and so you don't get the impression that I have an auction
problem... I could give it up any time...), I did indeed bid on a
breadmaker and my bid was the highest but it didn't meet Quixell's reserve
so the breadmaker was withdrawn! I was slightly upset to learn that Quixell
are not sharing the risk and that there may be no real bargains at all.
Depends where they set the reserve, I suppose...

--
Steve Bowbrick Webmedia Group
0171 292 5545 0468 257 570

http://www.webmedia.com/steve steveatwebmedia [dot] com (mailto:steveatwebmedia [dot] com)