Subject: UKNM: Freelance Fever
From: Renee Binyon
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:59:39 +0100

Hi

I've been following the 'going freelance' thread with fascination, as I've been a champion of the freelancer's cause for several years (see my site - www.inconet.com - the independent consultants network). The reality of the situation is that there are more and more people going freelance every day. The world of work is changing. Freelancers have 'got it' and are taking control of their lives. What people want to get out of going freelance is almost irrelevant - the point is that you get to write the plan that will shape your future (Lois is a great example).

The challenge for many freelancers is in the implementation. However good you are at your speciality, that's just one element of being freelance. Making excellent money, building valuable (and saleable) intellectual property, and having a great life is quite achievable, if you know how. Freelancers can, and often do, have it all - but it does take effort to set things up well so that it's possible - plus it means stepping back frequently from day-to-day activities to ensure you see the full picture. Most of us make a lot of mistakes along the way, and many give up because they find it's too difficult.

I was freelance for 7 years and managed to exceed my work and lifestyle goals. It wasn't easy (see 'confessions of a freelance' on my website) but I learned a lot along the journey, and was fortunate to work with some fantastic clients and other excellent freelancers.

Just like any area of work, there will always be freelancers who aren't up to scratch. My experience is that these don't last long. The ones who do last long-term generally build strong relationships with their clients by providing high quality services in a professional and genuine manner - irrespective of the kind of lifestyle they want to create for themselves.

Renee

Renee Binyon
INCONET.com
Tel: +44 (0) 1761 463306