Subject: UKNM: Is everyone enough?
From: chas linn
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:35:56 +0100

The world of media distribution whether TV, DTV, Web, PDA or WAP
is converging as different devices increasingly imitate each
other's capabilities. This is the conventional wisdom anyway and
while we may not really fully sign up to 'convergence' (I'm not
really going to watch Eastenders on my WAP screen or take phone
calls over my laptop whilst walking along the street, am I?),
there is certainly a feeling that things are moving closer to each
other, coming together.

Paradoxically, at this time of convergence the same arena is
splintering and diverging. The number of different media
'channels' is increasing rapidly and with the unstoppable rise of
DTV and mobile data access, this proliferation looks set to
continue for some time. In this increasingly diverse market
place, the need to firmly establish your niche seems self-evident.
Yet the response to this changing situation is by no means unanimous.

There are many bland offerings out there from sites seemingly
aiming to appeal to everybody, under the mistaken assumption
that this will maximise the number of users. This particularly
true of the WAP world with many of the major sites aiming for
'anyone who has a WAP phone': admittedly this could still be
called niche at the moment but not for much longer. Is it any
surprise that some of these are now experiencing a disappointing
uptake of their service?

I am currently working on a WAP start-up www.onthedog.com, which
is targeting 18-35 year old style conscious urbanites with
disposable income, initially living in London but soon to
encompass all the major conurbations in the UK. The information
we are providing is both an electronic fanzine and a guide to
getting the most out of your city, from clubbing, to drinking, to
what to do after the 11 o'clock bell sounds. Not rocket science
but relevant useful information, appropriate to the distribution
medium. Now as part of what is basically a guide to having fun we
want to offer entertainment content. However when I approached a major
online
entertainment organisation who was working on providing content over WAP,
I was told that our market was not large enough for them.

I must admit that I found this response surprising. Our projected
market for our service in London alone is 500,000 within two
years, UK wide we are perhaps talking about 1.5 million regular
users. This was considered to be too small an audience to bother
with. Clearly if you target the whole of the UK then your
potential market is much bigger than this but is it really
possible to reach them all with a more general offering?

Another example is being told by a major WAP hosting organisation, that
unless
we intend to roll out to Europe in the very near future then we might as
well
give up. Now Europe is a highly diverse place both in culture and lifestyle
restrictions; to have a section covering bars which stay open late in London
is very useful, in Madrid it is nonsensical. Again the assumption has been
made that the more people you try and reach, the larger your readership.
What
is missing from this equation is the fact that the more people you try and
reach, the more general your content and therefore the less relevant it is
the individual. This scattergun approach is in my opinion not only entirely
inappropriate for delivering content over something as intimate as your
mobile
phone, but also doomed in the longer term. Soon it is likely to deliver a
smaller response than targeting a well-defined niche; Will everyone then be
enough?

Cheers

Chas Linn
Technical Director